Jul 31, 2009

One hundred and ninety-eight...

Rowdy is learning about the behavior of little kittens. He is very concerned about Oreo. We have taken our time getting Oreo used to our property. We kept him in a pet carrier in the barn for a few days and would only take him out with supervision. We slowly gave him more and more freedom to explore. As Oreo has become a little more familiar with his surroundings we eventually stopped putting him in the carrier. Well, poor little Rowdy was very concerned about Oreo and that he was going to get lost. We have had to do tons of explaining about how cats behave and that Oreo will be fine.
Oreo likes to climb the trees...naturally. Rowdy came to me one day crying because "Or" was in the tree. I reassured him that the little guy would find his way down. And just as I was explaining it, he made his way down. Whew!
Kittens like to bite and that is something that Rowdy wasn't sure of at first. One day Rowdy got a little frustrated with Oreo and he said to me with tears in his eyes "Mom, I kind of got mad at Oreo, and I set him down kind of hard, but I love him so much, but I was mad at him because he bit me." Gee, that sounds like all the frustrating moments that I have had as a parent being explained right back at me by my seven year old.
Every time I tell Rowdy to go feed Oreo his is very willing to do it (so far). Oreo is a very cuddly cat too. I showed the kids how if you lay down on your back, Oreo will come up to you and rub up against you and purr like crazy....they loved it!
Now that Oreo is super familiar with our yard and the house...he is at the back door a lot wanting to come in....

No comments: