Oct 13, 2009

Two Hundred and Eight-Four...

I wrote this post awhile ago and it is just really a rambling about my goals as a photographer and really the process that it is.

When I attended, Learnfest in Georgia in September I got the opportunity to meet and spend the morning with a photographer that I enjoy. Ok "enjoy" is not the best way to put into words how I feel about her work. The first time I stumbled on her website I thought to myself, "I am truly looking at something magical". This was all before I knew about aperture, focus points and that flash is the enemy (well, to a natural light photographer). The photographer is Audrey Woulard. She is really talented and her camera is like butter in her hands and she just knows how to work light and how to make the magic happen! I tried to take this image below and use some tricks she showed us in photoshop to make this image look like one of hers. Kind of fun to do...but it leads me to the question...what is my style????

Photobucket
One of the things I have learned on this journey I am taking with my photography is that it is important to develop my own style. Well to me, in order to do that I need try lots of styles and see what I like. There are styles of photography that I know are not me, so I don't need to go down that road.

After a little over a year of learning, practicing and trying different things I am slowly starting to develop my own style. I have this little short list that is running through my mind that helps me to stay true to it.
Photography is really two steps....1. take photo 2. make it shine in photoshop. Then each of those steps have sub-catagories with in them that go off into infinity!

Do I want to be just like Audrey...No, but I would like to borrow a few things from her. She keeps things simple and she knows what she does best! That is ultimately what I am in looking for. What do I do best? Where do I feel most comfortable and confident? When I took the image above I felt good about it and I am leaning towards doing just childrens portraiture...but who knows...like I said it is a journey!

2 comments:

Kim said...

What a cute pictures the eyes look really good. It is for sure a process and heavens knows I am trying to find "my style" as well, it's fun to see how we have progressed though isn't it?

Holly said...

Perfection! I will looking at it with Will, and he said, "Oh, dat baby cute!"