Today is my Dads birthday! I think he is so handsome. My Dad used to take me bowling when I was so little that they didn't have shoes to fit me (I just wore my socks). He taught me how to play golf. He sawed a putter in two and welded it back together to make a short one for me when I was about 5 or 6. He used to take me to the park to play on Saturday afternoons, just he and I. He loved Tom and Jerry and Road runner cartoons. He could do this silly trick were it looked like he was pulling his thumb off (have you seen that one?). He also could do this funny dive off the diving board and it was always one of the highlights of summer vacation. He drove me to gymnastics practice for 9 months in downtown Portland so I could beef up some of my skills for cheerleading tryouts my Junior year in High School. I never remember any true heart to hearts conversations with my Dad where he said mushy things Father to Daughter...but you know what? I know he loved me with all his heart and I know he was proud of me. He was not stingy on saying I love you and giving me hugs. He was always there to help me when I got into a jam. He just wanted me to be happy! He gave it such a good fight when he got sick about 7 years ago and was diagnosed with ALS. He would sometimes whisper to me "I wish there was a cure, Jules." He has been gone for just over 5 years. I miss him so much. Rowdy talks about him all the time. Their spirits seem to have a connection. When Bodie was born I saw my Dad in him. He has my Dad's hands. Speaking of...Bodie is waking up so I have to run. Happy Birthday Dad!Aug 11, 2008
Happy Birthday Daddy!
Today is my Dads birthday! I think he is so handsome. My Dad used to take me bowling when I was so little that they didn't have shoes to fit me (I just wore my socks). He taught me how to play golf. He sawed a putter in two and welded it back together to make a short one for me when I was about 5 or 6. He used to take me to the park to play on Saturday afternoons, just he and I. He loved Tom and Jerry and Road runner cartoons. He could do this silly trick were it looked like he was pulling his thumb off (have you seen that one?). He also could do this funny dive off the diving board and it was always one of the highlights of summer vacation. He drove me to gymnastics practice for 9 months in downtown Portland so I could beef up some of my skills for cheerleading tryouts my Junior year in High School. I never remember any true heart to hearts conversations with my Dad where he said mushy things Father to Daughter...but you know what? I know he loved me with all his heart and I know he was proud of me. He was not stingy on saying I love you and giving me hugs. He was always there to help me when I got into a jam. He just wanted me to be happy! He gave it such a good fight when he got sick about 7 years ago and was diagnosed with ALS. He would sometimes whisper to me "I wish there was a cure, Jules." He has been gone for just over 5 years. I miss him so much. Rowdy talks about him all the time. Their spirits seem to have a connection. When Bodie was born I saw my Dad in him. He has my Dad's hands. Speaking of...Bodie is waking up so I have to run. Happy Birthday Dad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So sweet Julia what a great tribute to your dad. I have heard you talk about him often, but have never seen a picture before. I hope you are well, isn't so wonderful that Heavenly Father created us with memories. Thank goodness, because we can keep those that have gone on alive within ourselves.
That was really nice to read - all those small memories really add up and speak volumes about the people we love. Thanks for sharing.
Bravo for keeping those memories close to your heart. Losing a parent is uncomparable to anything and you have such a positive take on your relationship. He certainly was a fun spirit! Nic
Hey Julia! I'm not even sure how I found your blog, but I've been reading you for the last little while. This was so sweet! What a nice tribute to your dad. What a great man!!
Post a Comment