Jul 15, 2008

Hush LIttle Baby


Rowdy was having a hard time falling asleep last night (probably because it was so hot). Anyways, I sang him "Hush Little Baby" and scratched his back (one of his favorite things in the world). I was secretly hoping that I would be successful in singing him to sleep. Mainly because maybe that would mean he is still a "baby". He didn't fall asleep as I sang to him. It made me sad because I can't remember the last time I sang him to sleep and watched his eyes get heavy and witnessed him surrender and drift off. Instead we had a quite little conversation about our plans for the next day which included visiting Grandma Linda. Anyways, he was able to project in the future and say "I'm going to be a Dad someday". I encouraged him to talk more about that and he added "you will be my kids' Grandma and Dada will be their Grandpa". He also said "I will bring them over to visit you". I thanked him for that. He also mentioned that Ron should go see his Mom because he has a hurt eye and she could make it feel better (he got a piece of metal stuck in his eye...yuck!)
Although, I wasn't able to sing him to sleep like I used to when he was younger we did share a nice little moment of Rowdy and Mommy time. Do you ever miss your kids and how they were when they were younger? I remember reading somewhere that we are usually so aware of when the "firsts" happen in our kids lives but are not aware of when the "lasts" occur.

3 comments:

Kim said...

So sweet, I love to check on the kids because it is so wonderful too see their cute sleeping faces. They do grow up I just noticed today that Madie's front teeth are a little loose I almost started crying thinking of her cute front baby teeth being gone. Okay I have to stop talking about it or I am going to cry. Rowdy is going to make a super cute Daddy.

Amanda Davis said...

I do miss the way they were some times, I try to enjoy what they are now, but sometimes it is hard to miss that sweet cuddle time, or they cute things they would do. But I think you are right, it is hard to remember their lasts. Some times when you have a moment like that you wish you could just freeze it for just a little longer.

purplebleeder said...

UHHHHH Julia that is so sad:( Especially the last line - I am officially tearing up.